Tuesday Tidbits and Sunshine Risotto

1.  I am 3 weeks into race training for my first Half Marathon of the year, the Run for the Zoo in Albuquerque!  I'm looking forward to doing a local Half, and I'm feeling really good with my training so far.  I took the whole month of January off from running to focus more on Boot Camp and strengthening and I'm hoping that it works in my favor!  I'm still doing a novice training program, but incorporating more speed work and tempo runs into my training.  Less than 7 weeks to go!



2.  We got several inches of snow in Santa Fe last week, and Kua was absolutely in heaven!  It was really exciting to see so much white powder after a really dry winter so far.  Most of it has already melted in town, unfortunately, but I hope to get in a few more days of snowshoeing before winter is over!

Snow dog!

3.  My third season of Girls on the Run starts this week!  GOTR is a nonprofit, curriculum-based, healthy lifestyles after school program for elementary school girls.  It is such a rewarding program for the girls as well as the coaches, and the girls never cease to amaze me with their determination.  I am coaching at Pinon Elementary again this season and I can't wait to meet my girls on Friday.




4.  Exactly 3 weeks from today we close on our first house!  I feel like all the pieces are finally falling into place and Jaycob and I are so excited!



5.  Any finally.... a delicious new risotto recipe!

Sunshine Risotto
Serves 6

Ingredients
12 sun-dried tomatoes
6 1/3 cups chicken stock
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups Arborio rice
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup freshly grated aged Romano cheese

Directions
1.  Bring the stock to boil in a saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep simmering gently over low heat while you cook the risotto:
2.  Heat the oil in a deep pan over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for about a minute.
3.  Reduce the heat, add the rice, and mix to coat in oil.  Cook, stirring constantly, for two to three minutes, or until the grains are translucent.
4.  Gradually add the chicken stock, a ladleful at a time.  Stir constantly and add more liquid as the rice absorbs each addition.  Increase the heat to medium.  After about 15 minutes, stir in the sun-dried tomatoes. 
5.  Continue adding the stock, stirring constantly, until the risotto has been cooking for 20-30 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy.
6.  Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the parsley and half the Romano cheese.  Serve warm, topped with the remaining cheese.

Enjoy!

Cooking the Arborio

Mixing in the good stuff

Yum!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma