Summer Trail Running: Putney Woods Loop


In mid-July we took a family vacation to the Pacific Northwest for a wedding in Lynden, family time in Seattle, and a gorgeous little road trip through Whidbey Island.  This is a magical time of year in the Puget Sound area and we were blessed with a rare weekend of sunshine.  It's hard to squeeze in training runs while traveling (I recall treadmill runs in the gym in Cancun, laps around a park in China, and early morning boardwalk jaunts in Virginia Beach over the years when attempting to balance race training with a travel itinerary!) but it also gives me the opportunity to explore new terrain and sneak in some alone time while traveling.  

Our weekend on Whidbey was two weeks before my trail race, so I was looking to do at least 10 miles with some moderate hills.  Putney Woods, just down the road from Saratoga Woods, was just a couple miles away from our Airbnb in Langley.  I mapped out two loops around the forest for a total of 12 miles.  The trail splits frequently and each segment has its own name, so I'm glad I had navigation because it would be easy to get turned around or take an unintended short cut.  There isn't much elevation gain in this region or any large hills, but there were some nice rolling hills and the terrain was interesting.  Except for one segment near a road, it was very shaded the entire time and a nice break from the intense sun of the southwest.  

The Pacific Northwest air was cool and fresh, and running at sea level felt amazing!  The forests in this region always remind me of FernGully (geriatric millennials, are you with me?!) or some fantastical rain forest alive with fictitious amphibians or magical creatures.  The moss and ferns are abundant and exotic in their beauty.  It was very quiet on that Friday morning and I encountered very few other people.  I kept my eyes and ears out for any large animals or even hunters in the woods, but the creatures I encountered most frequently were down near my feet... slugs!  These little creatures are so fascinating and I took many breaks to snap some photos of them.  



Sunrise through the trees




(I didn't find any flying squirrels...)


The moss is magical




Hi friends!




After my trail run I discovered an amazing donut shop down the road - Whidbey Donuts.  What better way to celebrate finishing 12 miles?!  Later that day we visited the Earth Sanctuary and Greenbank Farm before heading north to Coupeville.  Stay tuned for some tips on things to do with kids on Whidbey!


Whidbey donuts!


Meredith cracked her forehead open while I was out running, but she made a quick recovery!


Sisters hiking


Earth Sanctuary


Greenbank Farms


Stop and smell the roses (or daffodils...)


Pausing for some yoga


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma