Summer Trail Running: Aspen Vista


Aspen Vista is one of the more popular hiking trails in Santa Fe and is enjoyed by mountain bikers, trail runners, and casual hikers of all ages.  Located close to the ski basin, it's a highly frequented trail for cross country skiing and snow shoeing in the winter when the snowfall is fresh and before it get packed down by hikers and dogs.  It is absolutely stunning in mid-October when the fall colors are at their peak, but it is also quite beautiful in the early summer when the forest is lush and green and the wildflowers are in bloom.  This was my second trail run after the forest opened up this season, and it was only the third or forth time that I made it all the way to the top of the mountain.  

The trail is about 12 miles round trip, starting at 10,000 ft elevation and ending at 12,040 ft at the top of Tesuque Peak.  The trail isn't steep overall but it's challenging because of the constant, steady climb and the thin air as you approach the peak.  I started off too eagerly and my legs were dying within a few miles of my run, but it was good preparation for my half marathon that would be uphill for the first 4 miles.  Trail running has forced me to challenge my expectations of myself as a runner and my definition of success.  When road-running, it's usually my goal to keep running no matter what (even if it's painfully slow), but I am learning to accept that trail running is going to require walking/hiking at times to conserve energy, and to consider this perseverance, not failure.  

I encountered very few other hikers or runners at the early morning hour, and I had the mountain peak to myself when I reached the summit.  It's so therapeutic to view the city from 12,000 ft and to look across the mountain range at everything that exists beyond the city.  I had to walk some of the steeper climbs of Aspen Vista and I took a longer break at the top, and the downhill was slower than I planned because my muscles were fatigued and I was tripping on rocks and branches as my legs got tired.  I recently tripped on some rocks on a gravel road run, and while I caught myself from falling I jarred my hamstring.  I'm still running and walking on it but it's noticeable every day and I notice myself treading cautiously on uneven terrain.  

When the forests were closed during the fires, I thought about all the animals living their best lives, unencumbered by the damaging effects of human contact.  I thought about the birds building their nests, the deer and elk roaming the trails without fear of humans, the coyotes reclaiming their land, and the grass and flowers thriving without harm from trash and debris from humans.  I was reminded of the image of the endangered green sea turtles coming to nest on a deserted beach during the pandemic, thriving for the first time in decades in the absence of humans.  While I'm so thankful that the forest is open once again and I believe in the importance of nature for the health of humanity, it's also a good reminder to us all to cherish this land and to work to maintain it for future generations.  


Hello friend!

New life budding in the forest

Wild flowers in bloom

View from the top of the skin basin

Summit!


Outside of trail running, our family is having a fun and busy summer!  Ady just finished summer camp at the Audubon center and Queen Bee music, and Meredith and I had a date at the Albuquerque Zoo before she got her first COVID vaccine!


Exploring some creepy crawly friends

Sisters!

Seeing the giraffes at the ABQ zoo!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma