Un-Lazy Sunday

May was a busy month for races, and I closed out the month with my first ever road biking time trial: Contre-la-Montre Feminin, a women's only event hosted by The Spokettes racing team.  It was a 10 mile out-and-back course, and different from a regular race in that each participant started individually.  Honestly I didn't do a lot of training or preparation since I just did a 50 mile ride a couple weeks ago and thought that a 10 miler would be a piece of cake, but the race was FAST and chicks were competitive!  There were quite a few very serious bikers at the event, jerseys with sponsors listed, and some helmets that probably cost more than my bike.





I pushed myself hard and had a great ride!  There were a few hills and a moderate headwind on the way back, and I finished in 31 minutes, which put me pretty much in the middle for my category.  I was really glad I did it!  When I was contemplating cutting back on races this year, my friend and mentor, Kim, told me to just think of races as a really good workout, and she was right.  I wouldn't have pushed myself that hard on a normal Sunday morning workout.  Another friend, Martha, reminded me that we are winners just for showing up, which is more than a lot of other people can say.  It was a beautiful morning and a fun event, and the best part was this cute bicycle bracelet for all finishers!




Another perk of a short race... I had the rest of the day free!  I took the pup hiking up the Winsor trail and part way up to Raven's Ridge.  After a few really warm days, I was optimistic about the trail conditions, but I discovered quite a bit of snow left on the trails.  I hope it melts in time for our backpacking trip in three weeks!







Looking forward to a fun month of June with a brew fest next weekend, backpacking trip, Santa Rosa triathlon and the Santa Fe Rodeo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called To Action

Yarn Projects

Santa Fe Thunder Half Marathon 2017