City of Lakes Triathlon



Last year I considered giving up on triathlons.  I couldn't get my breathing under control in the swims, even when the swim portion was the last event, and I thought maybe this just wasn't for me after all.  This year I decided to give it another go, and on Saturday competed in the City of Lakes sprint triathlon in Santa Rosa, NM.  The weather was cool and the sky was overcast on Saturday morning, which was a relief.  We stayed in Santa Rosa the night before, but it was still an early morning to pack, check in for the race, and set up our transition zone before the 7:30 am race start.  It was a little crowded and hectic, and my adrenaline was pumping.  I was nervous to find out that the race would not be wet suit legal, because I need all the help I can get in the water!

While the first waves of racers started, I decided to get in the water for a swim warmup.  The water was freezing (and incredibly smelly...) but swimming for a few minutes before the start of my group was my best decision all day because I was calm and adjusted to the water before the gun went off.  I stayed in the back of the pack and took my time during the first half of the 750 meter swim, but I had my best swim in a race yet!  I found my rhythm and my breathing was controlled.  I even passed a few people!  I still got out of the water in last place out of 5 in my age group, but I felt reassured by how good I felt, and I knew I wasn't too far behind.

The bike ride was the prettiest part of the race, following the river through a canyon-like terrain with lots of rolling hills.  I passed two people in my age group, and tried to keep up with another girl who was kicking butt on the uphills, but I couldn't quite catch her.  I enjoyed the scenery but also pushed hard for the 13 mile ride, finishing in 43 minutes.

The run was not very exciting, and involved three passes along a dirt rode with a small hill.  With Olympic distance triathletes competing simultaneously on the same course, there were a lot of runners on the road at the same time, and good camaraderie as athletes cheered each other on.  I certainly didn't break any records with my 28 minute 5K, but had a good race overall!  I finished 4th in my age group, so I didn't make it to the podium, but there were some very good athletes in front of me.  Most importantly, I have a renewed sense of confidence with triathlons, especially the swimming, and I look forward to doing two or three more this season!

My hubby had an incredible race, not only winning his age group but getting 4th overall for the sprint distance!  He's having a really great season so far!

In other news, my brother got engaged to his amazing and gorgeous girlfriend this weekend!  What a wonderful weekend of love and celebration!

This is just too beautiful to not share!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma