My Way or The Tri Way



This past weekend Jaycob and I road-tripped up to Aurora, Colorado, to compete in the My Way or The Tri Way triathlon!  This was a really fun and well-organized event.  It was a sprint triathlon (800m swim, 20K bike, 5K run) in which the participants choose the order of their events.  The majority of athletes, including the Elites (and also my husband who likes to think he is Elite...) went with the traditional order (Swim-Bike-Run), but a lot of people, myself included, decided to mix it up.  There were participants competing in every combination of events (Bike-Swim-Run, etc.), as well as 2-event options (Swim-Run-Swim, Run-Bike-Run, etc.) and Relay Teams.  

Setting up my zone

Before the start of the race

Sun rising over the reservoir

I chose Run-Bike-Swim for my order and I had a pretty good race!  I felt really strong for the run and found it much easier to bike after running versus the other way around.  The run course was hilly (yay!) and I found two running buddies to stick with throughout the 3.1 miles.  It was so inspiring to make some friends along the way without even talking to each other.  The bike ride was also quite hilly and I passed a lot of people.  It was a little windy out on the course, but I was prepared for that after biking through springtime in Santa Fe!

For the swim I decided to try out my wetsuit for the first time.  It wasn't really that comfortable, especially on my calves, but I definitely noticed a difference in buoyancy.  Good thing I had a strong run and bike because my swim was pretty terrible (as usual).  I have been swimming really well in the pool, free from anxiety and pressure and other competitors, but I just can't seem to get it together in the race setting.  I thought it would help to save my swim for last when all the other racers are spread out, but I still couldn't control my breathing enough to get my face in the water.  I didn't consciously feel anxious, but I just couldn't get into a rhythm.  I ended up breast-stroking the whole time and finished about 10 minutes slower than expected.  I've pretty much accepted that this is my norm now and I need to just keep doing races and getting more comfortable!  (Although I wouldn't mind just doing a Run-Bike-Run duathlon next year.)  I ended up finishing in 1 hour 47 minutes, which put me in 9th place out of 23 women in my age group.

Running up the beach after finishing my really long swim...

One thing I really liked about this race was the up-beat and supportive attitude that everyone had.  I met some really nice people before the start of the race, including a Mom-Daughter duo and many first-time triathletes, and there was definitely a sense of camaraderie out on the course.

We had a fun little weekend in Denver after the race was over.  We stayed downtown Saturday night and went to a Rockies game, then met up with some friends the next morning and visited my favorite coffee shop before hitting the road!

Coors Field, Denver

Caribou Coffee, Boulder

I have a few weeks off from races now, and then it's the Santa Fe Triathlon followed by my two Half Marathons!  Time to put in some serious miles!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma