Celebration of New Life in Quarantine

We're more than five months in and realizing that coronavirus is here to stay, despite varying levels of acceptance.  This is our new normal, at least for a while.  I don't think we can even fathom the long term effects that the pandemic will have on our mental health and our relationships, but while we may struggle to find meaningful ways to grieve and to support our friends and family members through life changes and unexpected events, I think what keeps us going is celebrating the good things that are continuing to happen, despite the virus.  Artists are creating beautiful "virtual" pieces (like this incredibly moving virtual choir singing Eric Whitacre's "Sing Gently").  Groups of people are connecting on Zoom.  Weddings are happening (although often not as the couple envisioned).  My former students are graduating from their Doctorate of Physical Therapy programs, despite the current uncertainty of the healthcare industry.  And in acute care, although many of my patients are unfortunately succumbing to illness, most are getting better.  As part of the interdisciplinary team serving the COVID unit, I have the opportunity to witness recovery and rehabilitation every week.  

I attended a socially distanced, outdoor baby shower this past weekend and look forward to another one next month!  It was so nice to see people in person and to have conversations that weren't through a computer screen.  We celebrate new life while masking and adhering to social gathering limits.  Healthy babies are being born.  In fact, at least eight of my close friends in Santa Fe are welcoming babies in 2020!  I can't wait to see the resiliency and determination of this generation as they grow up, and the camaraderie that will develop among the parents of these babies.  

Earlier this month we celebrated another joyful milestone for our family.  We baptized Meredith in a small and intimate outdoor ceremony at the United Church of Santa Fe.  The church isn't open for services during the pandemic, and gatherings of more than five people are still prohibited in our state, but we worked together with the pastor to create something meaningful and safe despite current uncertainties.  In Meredith's sacrament of baptism, Jaycob and I made a commitment to raise her to be a kind and honorable person, and big sister Ady had a speaking part during the ceremony too, pledging to love her baby sister and pray for her.  The church council shared their blessings via email, and Meredith's godparents and other aunts and uncles contributed their hopes and wishes for her.

Three years ago we grappled with the meaning of baptism and reflected on some of the concerns we had with the way that other church traditions interpret baptism, but we ultimately decided to baptize Ady after joining the United Church.  One of the things that baptism most symbolized was her acceptance into a community.  While I struggle with my relationship with the church and how to interpret the texts of the Bible, I believe in community and in the power of people coming together for a common goal and a common pledge to self-reflect and become better people.  That is the value that church has in my life, and I want my daughters to have the opportunity to feel welcome in a church community if that's what they choose as adults.  Although Meredith's ceremony was small and only our immediate family was present, I know the community is there for us.  I know that a group of people will be thinking about her, talking about her, offering to help and support our family when we're in need, and nurture her upbringing when we are able to return to church and Sunday school once again.  I want to raise her to embrace other religions and avenues of spirituality as well, but I'm thankful that she has this, and she has family members across the miles who love her, even those who have not yet been able to meet her in person.  


Ady watches the waterfall behind the baptismal font, and I love the incredible artwork
from a local Native American artist.


Baptism day!


My beautiful girl


This is one of our first family pictures this year.  
So many of our memories of 2020 will include masks!


I have gratitude that the world continues to spin, that flowers continue to bloom, that good things are still happening despite all of the sadness and grief that this year has brought.


Sunrise through the smoke on my way to work this week






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma