We Hold These Truths To Be Self-Evident

I don't really like the 4th of July.  I used to enjoy going up to the field at the school to watch fireworks in my town as a kid, eating snacks on a picnic blanket and playing with light-up toys while anxiously awaiting sunset and the the beginning of the fireworks show, then watching in awe with all the other kids in town.  We got to stay up late to watch the whole spectacle, including the grand finale, before gathering up our things and walking home together.  But as adult, I can't stand the noise of firecrackers and I am appalled by people setting off fireworks in their own yards.  I have become increasingly annoyed by the fact that fireworks go on throughout the summer, and at all hours of the night.  It is distressing to watch the anxiety that my dog experiences over the loud bangs, and I can only imagine how war veterans with PTSD must feel.  And working in acute care, I have come to associate summer holidays with fatal drunk driving accidents, spinal cord injuries from falling off roofs, opportunities for domestic abuse, and burn injuries from fireworks.

Moreover, it has become increasingly more difficult to celebrate the 4th of July and to feel patriotism for America over the past few years as we are faced with startling inequalities, institutionalized racism and homophobia, and the hypocrisies that exist and always have existed in American history.  "The land of the free and the home of the brave" does not apply to a lot of people in this country.  "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" are not things that are accessible to a lot of folks.  Even as Thomas Jefferson wrote that "all men are created equal," he owned hundreds of slaves and fathered multiple children with a slave.  The things that are devastating to our country right now -- COVID-19, the murder of black individuals by law enforcement, abuse of power, economic collapse, unemployment, homelessness, incarceration -- are hurting BIPOC individuals and economically disadvantaged persons the most.  Other countries are prohibiting us from traveling there because of our disgraceful management of the pandemic.  We are more politically divided than ever.  Our country's leader is a liar and a horribly embarrassing disgrace.  And there are still kids in cages.  I'm not very proud to be an American right now.  

But I think 4th of July is also a time to reflect on the past.  Some would argue that we cannot judge history through the lens of our current values and beliefs, but I think that if we don't examine history with a critical eye then we allow injustices to repeat themselves.  We as an evolving nation are coming face to face to the ugly truths of our history, and a lot of reflection and change is happening.  The news is full of stories and images of removing statues and monuments that represent an oppressive past, prohibiting the display of the confederate flag and acknowledging its message of hate, not heritage, and taking steps to right some of the many wrongs that led us to where we are now.  My siblings and I had a Hamilton watch party on Disney+ last night.  Not only was it exciting for me to finally see the show (albeit on a TV screen instead of live), but I think its themes of race and revolution are even more relevant now than when the show first debuted.  Watching the show, I couldn't help but feel that the past is absolutely the present, whether we're prepared for this revolution or not.

Despite the realities and disappointments of celebrating our freedom right now, when I look back on 4th of July holidays from my childhood, I have fond memories.  I think of all the parades I was in as a kid and teenager.  I think of running the 4-mile race in my town with my mom.  I think of summer barbecues and watermelon.  I think of holidays spent on a boat in northern Minnesota.  I think of time with my cousins.  My grandparents and great-grandparents celebrated their wedding anniversaries on this date.  So I'm choosing to create fond memories for my children on this holiday as well, not to ignore the realities of our country, but to choose to be hopeful despite everything, and to enjoy our time together as a family.  Just as I hope that the world will be better for our children's generation, I hope that Independence Day can someday be meaningful to all Americans.  

Meredith's first art project at school

The future is bright


My first 4th of July

Making strawberry shortcake to deliver to our friends


That's a lot of fruit!


Made with red, white and blue love

Comments

  1. Thank you for your inspiring words and comments in relation to the Fourth of July, honey. It takes courage to speak truths and to imagine a world that one year from today (if not sooner) our world will be much better. I, too, am rereading Braiding Sweetgrass (a lovely Christmas present from my blonde daughter!) and also have picked up Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown at the suggestion of a very important person in my life. That author reminds us of the words of Elie Wiesel (whom I studied as an undergraduate): "Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." Now is the time to be bold in word and deed and stand up for liberty and justice for all. Abuse of power of all kinds has no place in a loving and productive society. Maybe if we focus on gratitude and respect, a gradual change will move through the land and through future generations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma