Tuesday Tidbits - April Reflections

When I look back on the past month, it's hard to believe how much has happened in the world, and how busy our own little family has been as well.  I've been feeling overwhelmed lately by the news -- the shootings and bombings around the globe, the fire at Notre Dame, the horrifying ramifications of the opioid epidemic, the Measles outbreaks and the vaccine uproar, the child who was thrown at the Mall of America, and close friends who are struggling with illness, cancer, or infertility -- and I find it hard to maintain my sanity and sense of purpose when there seems to be a lack of compassion everywhere we turn.  At the same time, though, I also feel hopeful and inspired by the positive things that are happening, like new gun laws in New Zealand, the steps big companies are taking to minimize plastic use, and the policy changes that are happening to support underrepresented individuals.  And although I'm not a religious person, I am trying to embrace a sense of hope and optimism in the season of Easter.  When I struggle to stay hopeful and focused this season, I find strength in this beautiful quote from John Muir, the founder of the Sierra Club:  "This grand show is eternal.  It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising.  Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on sea and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls."

Reflecting on the past month, I also try to focus on the fun and positive things our family experienced.  Here are some of the highlights:

1.  We started off the month with a visit from Ady's "Grandpa M."  We enjoyed playtime at the park, dinners out, and music at the library.

2.  A few days later we traveled to Minneapolis to see the Final Four basketball games!  It was our first time inside the beautiful new US Bank Stadium.  Although our favorite teams didn't make it to the Final Four, we still had fun cheering on another Big Ten team and watching two really good games.

3.  We were able to enjoy lots of family time on our Minnesota trip, including meeting our 6-month-old nephew, Henrik.  He's a cuddly and happy baby, and Ady loved playing with her older cousin, Rielle, too.

4.  After returning home to Santa Fe, Ady and I had girls' weekend while Jaycob raced in a mountain bike event, where he won first place despite the cold rain and snow!

5.  On April 16th I helped organize National Healthcare Decisions Day at my hospital, an annual event that focuses on advance care planning and community education.  This is a topic I'm really passionate about through my work in the intensive care unit and on the Ethics Committee, and I enjoy sharing my knowledge with community members and hospital staff.

6.  The following weekend I had the opportunity to see the Armchair Expert Live in Santa Fe.  I admit that I didn't follow this podcast prior to seeing it live, but I love hearing people's stories and listening to dialogue that pertains to current issues, some comical and some more serious.

7.  I started crocheting two little unicorns for Ady, and I'm almost finished with the project.  Like most tiny yarn projects, this one was way more time-intensive that anticipated, but I think the end result will be really cute!

8.  I was in the mood to do some baking for my coworkers this month.  I tried some new recipes for Espresso Hazelnut cookies and Cappuccino Flats, and one of my old favorites, Blue Moon Cupcakes.

9.  This month I finished my three-month commitment to jury duty.  It was a meaningful experience and I learned a lot about an aspect of the community I would otherwise never have encountered.

10.  I started playing softball on a co-ed team of coworkers and other friends, and although I'm terribly out of practice I have really enjoyed getting back into a team sport again.  We had our first win last night!


May is going to be another busy month with two races (a 10K and 5K), spring cleaning, and a few work deadlines, and we're counting down the days to our Alaska trip in June!


 .           

Happy Spring, from Ady!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma