Happy Spring!

Hiding kitty says, "Happy Spring!"

Today is officially the first day of spring!  It has been so warm and sunny in Santa Fe the past few weeks and I've just really gotten in the mood for being outside, riding my bike, and getting started on my garden.  We have been in our house one year this week!  I didn't do a lot with the garden during our first spring and summer but I am motivated to brighten up the yard a little more this year.  Frankly, I am completely clueless when it comes to gardening and I don't even know where to begin, but I'm trying to just start small and not overwhelm myself.  I welcome any advice and/or tips about successful gardening in the high desert climate!  Other home improvement projects this spring include painting the guest and master bedrooms, shopping for ceiling fans and a dining room chandelier, and reorganizing book shelves.  (The fun never ends.)

Last weekend I ran a 5K trail race in Los Lunas, NM.  While the elevation change was not significant, there were a few rolling hills.  I always enjoy a race that has some variety and a few challenges.  We enjoyed brunch after the race at San Marcos Cafe, where peacocks roam the grounds like they own the place!  In the spirit of spring and getting back into running, I did another local 5K yesterday to support one of the elementary schools.

King of the Hill trail race


Amy Biehl 5K run


Brunch with the birds at San Marcos Cafe


Today I got my bike out for the first time this season!  It's rare to have a spring afternoon in Santa Fe that isn't really windy.  It felt good to get the pedaling going.  I hope to get in shape in time to do the Half Century ride (50 miles) at the end of May!

In the kitchen I've been really into springy spinach salads with strawberries, almonds, goat cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.  Yum!  I am definitely craving my favorite scones this week too - Vanilla Bean Rhubarb Ginger scones - and I can't wait to try this Strawberry Pie recipe from my favorite food blogger.

What's on your menu for Easter weekend?

In other news, I'm last place in my March Madness bracket group (c'est la vie), but I'm still holding out hope that at least 5 or 6 of my Elite Eight teams will make me proud.


Happy Spring! :-)




Spring is blooming!  Enjoy beauty while it lasts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma