Amanda Lynne Byrne Memorial Run



Today I competed in the annual Amanda Lynne Byrne Memorial 10K.  This was my second year in a row participating in this event and it was a beautiful day for a race!  The course is hilly and winds through the town of Pecos, turning around at the national monument.  I always enjoy a hilly course because it seems to break up the route into sections and also provides a greater challenge.  I was able to pass a few people on the uphills and lengthen my stride on the way down.  

At the halfway point turnaround, there were two girls ahead of me, and quite a few right behind me.  I determined that I was probably the leader in my age group at this point and was on a mission to not let anyone else pass me for the second half of the race!  I was definitely the gazelle today, and I kept up my pace to finish first in my age group!

I didn't beat my 10K PR but I was able to average less than 9.5 minute miles throughout the race and finish in about 58 minutes.  I was really happy with this time because I haven't been doing a lot of speed work yet this year.  This race was a training race for me in preparation for my upcoming half marathon, and I feel like I'm right on track with my training, pacing, and diet.  

The highlight of the day was that my running buddy and I both took home another ceramic mug for placing in our age groups!  Races are always more fun with friends.

2015 finishers!

Flashback to this race in 2014!
Coming up... I have a 5K at the end of the month, followed by the Run for the Zoo half marathon and the La Tierra Torture mountain bike race at the beginning of May!  Later next month is the Santa Fe Century Bike ride and the Girls on the Run 5K!  (So much for cutting back on races this year...)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma