Vanilla-Rhubarb-Ginger Scones

I have been waiting literally over a year to have a weekday off so I can make a dentist appointment.  Well, I got my wish and was graciously granted a day off yesterday!  It was 70 degrees and sunny... so needless to say I didn't go to the dentist.  Instead I baked scones, did laundry, and took Kua and her boyfriend on a trail run.


Kua and Sam (black and tan) on the Borrego Bear Wallows trail

Vanilla Bean Rhubarb-Ginger Scones (from the Brown Eyed Baker)

Some of my fondest childhood memories were formed at summer camp in northern Minnesota.  I will always remember the day my cabin buddies and I discovered fresh rhubarb growing on the camp grounds, and eating it dipped in sugar from the kitchen.  These scones (yet another amazing recipe from my favorite blog) are absolutely to die for.  They are the perfect combination of sugary and tart.  

First chop up some rhubarb and let it sit in some sugar.



Whisk together sugar, vanilla bean seeds, flour, baking powder and salt.


Turns out vanilla bean isn't a bean at all!  I have so much to learn...

Blend in some butter, then add the rhubarb and chopped crystallized ginger.



Mix in some heavy cream, knead out the dough, and form into scone shapes.





Bake, cool, and enjoy!



Recipe: Vanilla Bean Rhubarb-Ginger Scones

I am planning to make these again for Easter Brunch tomorrow!  For those of you who don't know me well, I tend to get a little carried away about holidays.  I guess I just enjoy having something to look forward to.  Here's my plan for our Easter Brunch menu:

Bacon and Cheese Quiche (also from the Brown Eyed Baker)
Ham
Waffles with Berries
Spinach Salad
Fresh Fruit
Banana Bread
Vanilla Bean Rhubarb-Ginger Scones
Blue Moon Cupcakes
Vegan French Toast Donuts
Mimosas
Coffee


Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma