La Vega


September has always been my favorite month.  Growing up, September always meant back to school, football season, the start of classes and sports and activities, and a month of change and new beginnings.  Now that I’ve been a non-student for over a year, September doesn’t necessarily signify the start of something new, but is does mean that fall is on its way.  I love everything about fall - the colors, the feel of the air, the smells, and the cooler temperatures, allowing us to trade in our bikinis and tank tops for cute sweaters and scarves.  I love the fresh apples and pumpkin spice lattes and leaf piles, and mittens and bonfires and hot apple cider.  I’m so ready!




I already noticed a few changing leaves on my hike yesterday morning along the La Vega trail.  Seeing that it is Labor Day weekend, the trails were heavily populated with families hiking together, boy scout troops backpacking, vacationers exploring the gorgeous Santa Fe wilderness, and locals strolling through the forests with their dogs.  (Needless to say, Kua made a lot of friends.)




La Vega, meaning The Meadow, is a pleasant and woodsy hike that culminates in a beautiful alpine meadow at the foot of Santa Fe Baldy.  The hike begins along my favorite section of the Windsor trail, surrounded by conifers and Aspens.  It then descends along a less populated trail paralleling Rio Nambe before arriving at the meadow, nestled under several majestic peaks.




I look forward to repeating this hike again in a few weeks after the Aspens change color!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma