Summer Trail Running: Middle Dale Ball Trails

The Dale Ball Trails form an interconnected system of hiking trails that wind around the foothills of Santa Fe, stretching from Camino Cruz Blanc and Upper Canyon Road to Hyde Park Road and the Santa Fe National Forest.  At 7,000-8,000 ft elevation, they are slightly lower than most of the other trails in the Santa Fe mountain area, and thus are accessible to hikers and mountain bikers year-round.  The trail system is well-marked with signs and maps at each intersection, but if you have a specific route or mileage goal in mind and you don't want to have to stop at every intersection to read the map then it's helpful to also have GPS navigation.

My last long run before my trail race this summer was a loop through the middle section of Dale Ball, starting at Upper Canyon Road and traveling through the winding trails and switchbacks toward Hyde Park Road, then looping back around counter-clockwise toward Cerro Gordo.  I ended with a short out-and-back toward Picacho Peak, for a total of 8.5 miles and about 1,300 ft elevation gain.  With one week to go before the race, I was really focused on watching my step and not getting injured.  I bought a new pair of Hokas at the beginning of the season, and while I love the traction and the bounce, I was starting to wonder if my frequent ankle rolls during training had something to do with my footwear.  One thing I have learned about trail running is that it has to be conscious for me, not automatic.  I have to stay in the moment and watch the trail just ahead of my feet, but not look too far away or let my mind wander too much lest I take a wrong step over a rock.

A mantra I adopted based on (triathlon philosophy) is that a race can't be won in the first mile but it can be lost.  In other words, I need to conserve energy in the beginning of the race and not be too eager to run the uphills or pass anybody, because chances are I will get very burned out and risk not finishing.  The Dale Ball loop was very slow but I conserved energy in the first half and avoided falling, so overall I felt prepared for Red River the following weekend!

I'm so thankful to live in a place where hiking trails and scenic views are just minutes away and accessible year-round!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma