Summer Trail Running: Peak Trail



During the pandemic we had the amazing opportunity to buy property at the ski resort in Breckenridge, Colorado.  We are so thankful to have this "home away from home" just 5 1/2 hours away from Santa Fe.  Breckenridge is most known for its skiing, of course, and we were able to take advantage of late season snow when we were there at Easter time, but we have discovered how beautiful and vibrant the city is in other seasons too.  When I envisioned traveling with my kids, I always dreamed about seeing the world and embarking on new adventures every year while at the same time having a regular, drive-able, go-to location where we can create memories and establish traditions and continuity, and I think Breckenridge will be just that for our family.  Especially during the past two years when travel has been precarious and unforeseeable, I feel so blessed to have a place where we can travel safely and enjoy the outdoors.

We took a weekend trip to the resort at the end of June, where I spent Saturday morning trail running along the Peak Trail, an out-and-back trail through the woods that begins just outside the door of our resort.  It goes all the way to Frisco, about 10 miles away, although I turned around about a third of the way there.  (I'm honestly not sure how far I went because my app stopped working, but in a way it was freeing to not have a sense of my mileage or speed!)  I read somewhere that the trail follows an old mining road from the 1800s and has a section that runs alongside an aqueduct once used to sift water containing gold and silver.  There are some moderate inclines but nothing too strenuous or technical, and the trail offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding mountain ranges.  New Mexico has been so dry from our recent forest fires that I was in awe of Colorado's lush greenery and blooming wildflowers.  

I started early in the morning, so for the first part of the run I saw very few other people.  I didn't wear my headphones because I wanted to be on the lookout for mountain lions.  However, at one point during the run I was so absorbed in my own thoughts of dismantling the patriarchy (seeing as this was the day after the Supreme Court ruling...) that I looked up to see a large furry backside hustling away from me down the trail.  Based on its tail and sheer size, it must have been a bear.  I stopped in my tracks, but the bear scurried away into the woods before I had a chance to snap a picture (or run for my life).  I was startled enough to wonder if I should turn back, but I decided that bears are probably more afraid of me than I am of them, and that I would keep going but maintain a close ear and eye to the woods.

After the out-and-back portion of the trail I added another mile down the road and back up, and was amazed to see two moose emerging from the forest and crossing the street in front of me!  Moose are such incredible creatures and this was only the second time I have seem them up close (the first being in Alaska three years ago).  They are enormous and have the potential to be extremely fast, but there's also something about their skinny legs and dopey faces that makes them look so docile and wise.  I was awe-struck and stood in the street watching them for a few minutes before cautiously returning back to my run.  (A few weeks after my moose sighting, there was a social media post about moose walking right through the middle of the ski resort!  They must have a pretty good life in Breckenridge!)

I finished my run with a short out-and-back along the snowshoe trail.  Although I lost track of mileage by this point, I know I didn't go as far as I would have liked, but I gave myself kudos for getting up early to do a long trail run while traveling and I was happy about the new wildlife friends I made along the way!  

And a perk of working out on vacation... the reward of a loaded Bloody Mary and dip in the hot tub afterwards!  

Other highlights of the weekend included swimming in the pool, riding the gondola, and eating gelato at our favorite spot in town.  I look forward to returning next summer for a full week to experience even more of what Breck has to offer in the summer.


Peak Trail, Breckenridge


Morning sunlight through the trees


Two moose crossing the street near the trail head


Finishing the run with a hike up the snowshoe path


Spring flowers in bloom


More beautiful wildflowers


Breckenridge Grand Lodge resort, just minutes from the trail head


Post-run hot tub soak with the girlies


More beautiful flowers near the pool


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma