Tuesday Tidbits

Happy May!  The weather was gorgeous this weekend and I think we can safely put away our winter boots and ice scrapers.  Almost everyone in my close social network is vaccinated, so it's really feeling like the world is opening up again and the next phase of pandemic life is beginning! 

A few tidbits about life lately:

1.  I had lunch at a cafe for the first time in ages, and not only was it AMAZING to eat a delicious meal prepared by a real chef and have someone else wash my dishes, but I didn't realize how much I missed people-watching.  There should be a word in the English language for the contentment that comes with sitting alone in a room full of people, overhearing casual conversations, and just being anonymous in a crowd.  There are so many little things that we forgot about during the first year of the pandemic.

The Japanese Bowl at Opuntia Cafe


2.  Speaking of things I didn't know I missed... latte art!  I sat down in a coffee shop for the first time in over a year and every part of it was so refreshing.

Latte Art at Iconik Coffee Shop


3.  The outdoor garden at the Santa Fe Children's Museum is open for business and I have taken the girls a couple times to meet friends on Saturday mornings.  It's such a great little space for kids to explore and interact in a safe way!  I feel so fortunate to have this little gem in our community! 

Fun in the sand box at the SF Children's Museum


4.  One of my favorite vaccinated past times is the re-emergence of happy hours on patios and picnics in the park.  My book club has started meeting in person again, outdoors on our socially-distanced blankets and chairs, and I look forward to having a social life again thanks to vaccines and warm weather!  Outdoor masking restrictions are also loosening in our state.  (The first time I walked the dog without a mask I felt like I was walking around the block naked!)

5.  I got a kick out of this article about 1200 new German words inspired by COVID.  Best new word to add to my vocabulary: Abstandsbier (distance beer)

In-person book club in the park

6.  I also got my hair cut for the first time in about a year and a half!  I'm growing my hair out during the pandemic, experimenting with the curly girl method and some low-maintenance styles, but it sure felt amazing to go to a salon and get a fresh 'do for the first time in ages.

New hair!  (As Ady would say, Oh La La!)


7.  I think we all realize that masks are here to stay.  I can't imagine ever NOT wearing a mask at work again, or walking into a crowd without a mask.  Thank goodness there are so many cute new styles to go with any fashion.  These beaded mask lanyards are an absolute must and are one of my new favorite spring accessories!


8.  Ady is turning 4 1/2 tomorrow!  She's an amazing big sister and is such a well-rounded and adaptable little preschooler.  She started Irish dance lessons, she's great on her balance bike, and we're starting Tball this summer!  

Celebrating springtime with a strawberry shake


9.  Meredith is 15 months, a super fun age between baby and little person!  She's getting more confident with her walking this month and keeps up on our toes.  She loves puzzles, music, pictures of cats and dogs, and climbing up and down the stairs!

Meredith and her babies


10.  A few books I'm most excited about this month:

American Spy, by Lauren Wilkinson
The Lost Apothecary, by Sarah Penner
Libertie, by Kaitlyn Greenidge
The Prophets, by Robert Jones, Jr.
Homeland Elegies, by Ayad Akhtar
All the Way to the Tigers, by Mary Morris
Little Eyes, by Samantha Schweblin
A Good Neighborhood, by Therese Fowler
Glitter Up the Dark, by Sasha Geffen
Bride of the Sea, by Eman Quotah



Tomorrow I'm getting on a plane for the first time in 18 months!  I'm a little nervous for all the unknowns, but mostly really excited to slowly transition into normal life again.  It will be Meredith's first time on an airplane!  Seattle here we come!




Comments

  1. Can’t get here fast enough! Can’t wait to hug you trio!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma