Tuesday Tidbits

Happy February!


Happy Tuesday!  Like most of the country, we've been in winter wonderland the last few days and it makes me want to just curl up with coffee (or a cocktail) and a book.  Work has been busy with high numbers of hospitalizations, accidents, and injuries, but thankfully our COVID numbers are on the decline and the pandemic is starting to feel manageable for the acute care community.  I just hope we all continue to work together to keep each other safe and develop long-term solutions.

Here are a few tidbits about life lately:

1. What's everyone doing for Mardi Gras tonight?  We're making Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya and listening to some big band carnival music at home.  I have all my beads saved in a bag in the closet to play dress-up once a year.

Happy Mardi Gras!

Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya for the win


2. Lent begins tomorrow, and while I don't necessarily acknowledge the countdown to Easter from a religious perspective, I always approach this season as an opportunity for reflection and growth, whether it's studying a book in-depth or committing to a new habit.  This year my goals are to do yoga and read poetry every day.  

3. I've been craving a creative outlet and artwork I can make with my hands.  Cold weather always inspires art and invites yarn work for me.  This month I made this cute macrame rainbow for Ady's room, and later this week I'm going to start knitting something for Meredith.


Macrame in progress

Finished project

4. Best winter purchase of the year: these Le Bent merino wool socks.  They are so warm, but not too thick, and have just the right amount of compression, plus these slick silicon grips around the top and the heel.  (I actually bought them for Jaycob but ended up keeping them for myself!)


So cozy

5. I can't stomach any more political news or social media nonsense after the past four years, but this news story about the golden retriever who was rescued in the mountains by two hikers completely warmed my heart.  There are still so many compassionate and selfless people out there in the world!

6. Best new food trend of the past year: Hot chocolate bombs.

Hot chocolate bombs full of marshmallowy goodness

Ady's here for the mallows

7. I splurged on an ice cream maker for Meredith's birthday.  Even thought frozen desserts may be out of season, we're having a blast with it!  I made butter pecan a few weeks ago and I may never go back to store-bought again.  The buttery, salty nuts in the smooth and sweet cream were to die for.  Now if only I could perfect some Chunky Monkey or Cherry Garcia...

Homemade strawberry ice cream for Meredith's birthday

8. My bedside table book stack is getting a bit out of hand.  Here are a few titles keeping me busy this month!

I want to just devour all of these...


9.  Meredith is at this really fun age at which she loves music, she knows how to make people laugh, and she is so observant of her environment.  It's really fun to connect with her and watch her learn!





10. One of the best things about 4-year-old is the artistic talent!  I especially love the houses and people Ady has started drawing.  This kiddo brings so much joy to our lives every day!






Stay safe and warm out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma