Tuesday Tidbits: Fall Edition



Happy Fall!  I am very much looking forward to a new season.  I love the crispness of fall.  It's the perfect time of year to let go and to reflect.  Ady has been really interested in seasons lately and certain traditions or themes that come with each one.  She was so thrilled when I told her it was fall, exclaiming, "Yay, we get to eat corn on the cob!"  We also made some pumpkin cookies with warm apple cider this week.  

Still trying to determine the best wine pairing with pumpkin cookies...

In addition to yummy fall flavors, here are a few tidbits about life lately:

1.  We're still taking the pandemic very seriously in New Mexico, with masks required at all times when leaving the house, and most businesses are still closed to indoor service.  As a health care worker, I'm so thankful for our state's leadership in their approach and scientific basis for decision-making.  I am also thankful to have so many beautiful outdoor spaces for safe, small gatherings, and trails to allow an escape from our little bubble!  

My favorite tree in the parking lot at work

2.  I took the girls hiking this past week on the Chamisa Trail, a narrow trail along the edge of the mountainside in the Santa Fe National Forest.  The leaves are just starting to turn, but the air was cool and the wildflowers are in bloom.  Ady loves looking for sparkly rocks, pinecones, and perfect snack spots.  (The snacks are endless.)

Admiring some wildflowers on the Chamisa Trail

3.  After the longest vacation-less stretch that I can recall in my adult life, we just booked a trip to Breckenridge for Halloween and an early birthday celebration for Ady!  I'm so thrilled to get out of town that I called back to book an extra night.  We don't have any big plans on our trip, but I think some quality time together away from the chaos of our own house will be really refreshing.

4.  Let's talk fall accessories.  I'm obsessed with this embroidered mask that my dear friend gave me for my birthday!  


Mask-wearing and baby-wearing in style


5.  One
 of the exciting and hopeful parts of this year is welcoming so many new babies in my community of friends!  Two of my best friends locally are expecting babies next month, and I'm so thrilled to celebrate with them and continue to build in our friendship and camaraderie as we share in the experience of parenting during these challenging times.

6.  One of the leadership roles I hold professionally is on the steering committee for an acute care education conference, Bridge the Gap, which of course has transitioned to a virtual format this year.  While I'm bummed about not seeing my colleagues in person, I'm actually really looking forward to putting on an online conference, and I hope we can reach a broader audience and create something that's really relevant to the academic and clinical settings.

7.  While the public libraries are closed, we have enjoyed selecting books online for curbside pickup, and we discovered that the library also offers supplies for craft projects!  This week we made these cute corn husk dolls and read about their use in other cultures.  

Getting crafty

8.  Speaking of books and libraries, here are some titles on my list for this fall:



9.  Ady has been saying that she is "almost 4" since about one week after her third birthday, and now it's true!  In less than two months she'll be 4, what a difference there is between ages 3 and 4!  She loves riding her scooter, climbing on rocks, coloring, playing dollhouse, and doing puzzles.  She recognizes most of the letters and is starting to write her name.  And I love the conversations we're able to have now that she has such a broad understanding of language!  This age is so challenging but also really fun.

Almost 4-year-old at the zoo

10.  Meredith is 8 months old and also achieving a lot of fun milestones!  She has her first tooth and loves to eat, almost as much as she loves to laugh at her big sister.  She is sitting and crawling easily now and loves to explore the whole room.  She is babbling up a storm and has lots of stories to tell!  The highlight of my day is seeing her smile when I pick her up from daycare.

Hello there!



Happy Fall, y'all! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma