Tuesday Tidbits

We are one month into our adventure as a family of four!  Life is fast-paced, noisy, and chaotic, and I'm learning new skills I never even knew I required as a mother of two.  My strategies for managing a three-nager and a newborn are very different, I still have a lot to learn, and I am stretched to my limits most days, but it's also immensely rewarding to watch the kiddos learn new skills, interact with each other, and express wonder about the world.  During my first month of maternity leave I have had the opportunity to reflect on my relationships and values, and as always I strive to maintain balance in my life.  I'm trying to get out of the house every day, keep up with hobbies, connect with friends, and avoid completely losing my mind.

Here are a few tidbits about life lately:

1. Valentine's Day:  Despite the overly capitalistic, patriarchal, and heteronormative nature of Valentine's Day, I actually enjoy this holiday.  I think of it as a time to show love and appreciation not just for romantic partners, but for friends and the wider community too, and to reflect on how to show up for relationships that are important to me.  Valentine's Day is also an opportunity to focus on loving oneself and engaging in productive self-care.  I enjoyed helping Ady put together her valentines for school this year, which gave us an opportunity to talk about friendships and giving to others.  And with Nana in town to babysit Ady, Jaycob and I went out for a dessert and wine "date night" (plus baby).  
Meredith's first Valentine's Day


2. Galentine's Day:  Increasing in scope and popularity is this holiday for "ladies celebrating ladies" the day before Valentine's Day.  As I've written about previously, I don't believe that one person can be everything to another person, and I'm so appreciative of my girlfriends who balance me and help me grow as a person.  Friends help us love ourselves so that we can better love other people, and during this time of the "fourth trimester" I'm especially appreciative of my friends.  Postpartum life is hard and I'm thankful for my fellow mothers who offer understanding and wisdom, as well as my childless friends who give me perspective and help me laugh about things unrelated to my kids.  This year I got two nights of Galentine's Day celebrations with a night out for dinner and margaritas, followed by my book club meeting.

3. Nana's Visit:  This weekend was also special because we welcomed our first visitor since Baby Meredith was born, and my mom got to meet her new granddaughter for the first time.  It was a fun-filled weekend of cuddles, park play, walks, dining out, tea parties, reading books, shopping, and Ady and Meredith spending quality time with their Nana.  Living 1,000 miles away from family is challenging but also makes us treasure our time together.  We look forward to welcoming more family members in the upcoming months!

Cuddles with Nana


4. Coffee Culture:  Speaking of things I love (and maintaining sanity as a parent), one thing I appreciate a lot this month is good coffee.  I've been trying to get out of the house a little every day during my maternity leave, so Baby Meredith has had the opportunity to frequent some of my favorite Santa Fe coffee shops.  It's amazing what 20 minutes with a cappuccino and a book can do for my mental health.

5.  Winter Hiking:  The weather this time of year is so unpredictable, with snow storms one day and 50-degree afternoons the next, but I enjoyed a beautiful snowy hike on the Borrego Bear Wallows trail after a recent snowstorm.  I can get bogged down by To Do lists and housework when I'm not at work, and I find it really therapeutic to get away from the house and experience nature.  I look forward to more hikes during the final 8 weeks of my leave!

Meredith's first hike on the outside

Big sister Kua leads the way


6.  Elderberry Syrup:  After fighting an ongoing cold for the last two months of my pregnancy, I discovered elderberry syrup, a natural antioxidant and immunity booster that protects against cold and flu.  Call it placebo or coincidence if you will, but I've avoided a cold since adding it to my daily routine and my energy level is much improved.  Elderberry is my new BFF!



7. Reading:  Taking care of a newborn is a wonderful opportunity to let life slow down, to sit more, and to catch up on some reading.  Here are a few books keeping me occupied this month:




8.  Restaurant Week:  The month of February features one of my favorite weeks in Santa Fe: Restaurant Week.  This is such a fun week to try new cuisines, experience fine dining at a relatively affordable rate, or sample a special menu at favorite local restaurants.  This year we have dinner reservations for two new locations, and I also plan to take advantage to being off work by treating myself to a fancy lunch or two.  Bon appetit!

9.  Fresh Flowers:  I recently read an article about fresh flowers and plants in the home being linked to lower levels of stress, lower blood pressure, and more positive feelings.  I don't need convincing!

My Valentine's Day bouquet

10.  Yarn Projects:  Meredith's baby blanket is finished!  This was a really fun crochet project to make, with five stripes of different intricate patterns connected by braids.  This winter I also made a hooded, button-up cardigan for Ady (my first project with sleeves) and a sailor-style vest for my little nephew.  

Meredith's baby afghan

Ady's cardigan

Ady modeling Henrik's vest



I have some alone time with Meredith this weekend while Jaycob and Ady travel to Minnesota!  I look forward to some quiet bonding time with Baby, sneaking in a few naps, and getting back into a yoga class.  Happy February!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma