Gratitude

Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday.  It's the perfect combination of things that bring joy - delicious food, wine and cocktails, quality time with friends, enjoying the final weeks of fall, and reflecting on reasons to be thankful - without the stress, expectations, and consumerism often associated with Christmas these days.  I have so much for which to express gratitude - my beautiful family, dear friends near and far, career successes, my ongoing pursuit of life balance, and living in this beautiful city, and this year we woke up to a lovely blanket of snow in Santa Fe!


Snowy Thanksgiving morning in downtown Santa Fe



My front yard this morning

While I sit at my dining room table, bundled up in a big sweater with coffee and a book, while the hubby is skiing and the toddler is snoring, these are the things I am most thankful for in this moment:


Health
My friend's kiddo just spent a few scary days in the hospital.  Another dear friend is awaiting surgery.  Our relatives have had some changes in their health status this year.  And I have many very sick patients in acute care right now who unfortunately won't be going home any time soon.  Working in healthcare and supporting friends through difficult times makes me especially appreciative that my own family has stayed healthy this year.  We haven't missed any school or work or dealt with any medical bills all year.  My pregnancy has been low-risk.  Our health and vitality are such a blessing.  

Home
This is our ninth Thanksgiving in Santa Fe and I think we can officially refer to this beautiful place as "home" now.  We have a community of close friends.  We are well-rooted in our teams at work.  We are actively involved in things around the city.  And we own our beautiful home.  Many of the patients I have taken care of lately don't have a safe place to go when they leave the hospital.  Some of them are incarcerated and will be heading back to jail or prison when they are medically stable.  Some will be heading to the homeless shelter.  Some are desperately searching for a facility where they can get the right treatment for substance abuse, addiction, or psychiatric illness.  Many don't have a plan at all and will be staying in the hospital until they are granted a court-appointed guardian.  I feel lucky to have a home, to have a support system, and to have shelter, because self-actualization is not possible without this basic need.

Responsibility
During a recent conversation in my book club, we reflected on the importance of ownership and responsibility.  Throughout history groups of people have been barred from the having responsibility, prohibited from making choices, and denied ownership over their belongings, land, or their body.  A person's growth is stunted without the opportunity to be responsible for something or someone.  I feel very fortunate for being able to make my own choices, to own my body and my life, to nurture my child, to work in a profession that is autonomous and self-guided, to take risks and accept the responsibilities, to exercise problem-solving, and to be invested in my life path. 

Pregnancy
In some ways this pregnancy is more challenging than my first.  The physical impact is more noticeable, I'm tired from simultaneously parenting a toddler, and I'm not exercising as much as I'd like to.  But there is also greater peace and less fear of the unknown, less planning and shopping and preparing, and they joy of seeing our baby-girl-to-be through the eyes of her big sister.  I love being pregnant.  I love this time with the baby before sharing her with the world.  So many people desperately wish to be pregnant and I don't take this for granted.


Laughter 
Despite the challenges of raising a "threenager" while being 7 months pregnant, Ady makes me laugh every day.  My husband makes me laugh every day.  My dog makes me laugh every day.  There are so many emotional rollercoasters of toddlering and pregnancy, of second guessing myself as a parent, of coming to terms with my faults and flaws, but every day there is also joy.  I am so thankful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma