Tuesday Tidbits

October has become my favorite month, especially since moving to New Mexico.  The vibrant yellow aspen trees are breathtaking in mid-October, the scent of roasting green chile fills the air, and people come from all over the world to the ABQ International Balloon Fiesta.  It's hard to believe that this is our ninth autumn in the Land of Enchantment!  The temperature is cooling off and the days are getting shorter, calling us to center ourselves and direct energy inward in preparation for the months ahead.  Here are a few things keeping me busy during my favorite time of year:


Aspen Vista

1.  One of my favorite fall traditions in Santa Fe is hiking Aspen Vista.  Ady is in that "in-between" stage of wanting to walk and then wanting to be carried, changing her mind every few minutes, which makes long hikes impossible right now.  Our hikes have become more like casual nature strolls, which is good practice in being present and letting go of expectations.  I took her exploring on Aspen Vista and Borrego Bear Wallows earlier this month and she loved collecting leaves, sticks, and "sparkly" rocks!



Hiking with our matching hats

Borrego Bear Wallows trail


2. After the colorful fall leaves, my second favorite part of fall is the flavors: pumpkin, apple, cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, pecans, and green chile, of course!  I've been in the mood for stews and dinners in the crock pot, and this past weekend I made some Apple Crisp and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (which lasted about 20 minutes at work). 


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


3.  Jaycob and I are celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary this week!  We have so many beautiful memories of our wedding and I love looking back at photos from that day.  So much has changed in our lives in 6 years.  I'm bummed that we won't be together on our anniversary this year since I'm traveling for a conference, but we enjoyed date night last weekend at a Son Volt concert at Meow Wolf in Santa Fe, about 10 years after seeing them in Minneapolis when we first met!  


Reminiscing about our wedding.... 10.19.13


4.  I took Ady to the pumpkin patch and apple orchard this past weekend.  She is the perfect age for plucking apples off the tree and choosing her favorite pumpkin from the patch (although she had her heart set on the "super bigger" one)!  Is there anything more adorable than a toddler wearing flannel?


Ady at the apple orchard

5.  I'm heading to a physical therapy education conference in Bellevue this weekend, which will probably be my last flight during my pregnancy.  This particular conference (the Education Leadership Conference, or ELC) is specifically directed toward educators in academic or clinical settings.  I'm excited to learn about new approaches to physical therapy education and teaching strategies for our student population and to bring some new tools back to my department next week!  (And I'm especially excited to spend time with my sis and brother-in-law while I'm near Seattle!)

6.  We just bought tickets for the Polar Express train ride in Durango this winter.  Ady is so excited to ride the train, drink hot chocolate, and meet Santa! 

7.  I'm almost finished knitting a cozy fall sweater for Ady's birthday and a little blue sailor vest for a friend, and I just started crocheting an afghan for Baby Girl.  Fall is a lovely time of year for curling up with a thick blanket, some hot cocoa and a yarn project.


Hooded fall sweater

Beginning of a baby blanket


8.  I can't get enough of Pottery Barn's new Harry Potter collection!  I guess I know where I'll be doing all of my Christmas shopping this year!

9.  The Booker Prize winner was announced last night, with the award going to both Margaret Atwood (The Testaments) and Bernardine Evaristo (Girl, Woman, Other)!  There were so many intriguing titles in the running for the prize and I hope to read a few of these in the upcoming year.  

        


10.  Speaking of books, here's a list of what I'm reading this season:
Beloved, by Toni Morrison
Nickel Boys, by Colson Whitehead
The Power, by Naomi Alderman
Normal People, by Sally Rooney
Lullaby, by Chuck Palahniuk
The Clockmaker's Daughter, by Kate Morton
The Ensemble, by Aja Gabel
City of Girls, by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Snakes, by Sadie Jones
Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
The Devil's Star, by Jo Nesbo
Wild Game, by Adrienne Brodeur
Mindful Birthing, by Nancy Barkacke
Children of Blood and Bone, by Tomi Adeyemi
The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls, by Anissa Gray
The Elephant Whisperer, by Lawrence Anthony
Crudo, by Olivia Laing
Three Women, by Lisa Taddeo



Happy Fall!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma