Chamisa Trail

When life gets hectic and my schedule is monopolized by commitments to other people, I crave time alone to recharge and reset my mind.  There is a lot of evidence to suggest that spending time in solitude can help clear our brains, allowing more creative thinking and improved problem-solving, and can also strengthen relationships by allowing us a new perspective and more confidence within ourselves, not to mention the benefits of relaxation and restoration.  For an introvert working in a job that requires a lot of socialization and leadership, alone time is a necessity for me.  This week I was blessed with an unexpected day to myself, and instead of doing housework or running errands I decided to take a "me day."  There was a snowstorm the night before and the fresh powder on the hiking trails was calling my name.  In an effort to avoid ski basin traffic I opted to snowshoe on the Chamisa Trail, one of the first trailheads located along Hyde Park Road in the Santa Fe National Forest.  I often avoid this trail because it is very narrow, which can be problematic when crowded or when there are a lot of dogs on the trail, but I was the first hiker on the trail that morning and didn't encounter anyone else until the return trip.  It was so quiet and peaceful in the woods, the only sound the crunching snow under my feet.  This trail is lower elevation than most of the other hikes in the area, and I love the contrast of foliage including shrub oaks, Ponderosa pines, aspens, and yucca, all covered with fresh snow on this particular morning.  The trail is a gradual uphill along the edge of the slope and is a pretty easy hike overall.  I felt refreshed to be out in nature, alone with my thoughts.


Chamisa Trail hiking

Snow-covered yucca


Creating new tracks


Tree icicles


Tesuque Creek


After hiking, I went for a soak at Ten Thousand Waves spa and hot springs, followed by lunch at Izanami, a Japanese restaurant next to the spa that was a semifinalist for the James Beard Award.  This solo day was exactly what I needed to recharge and feel more ready to dedicate myself to others later in the weekend.  


Ten Thousand Waves spa

Ramen at Izanami

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma