Gratitude

Life is beautiful and there really is so much for which to be grateful.  Though my family is far away, I have the means to visit them and the technology to communicate with them.  My friends and my work team bring me joy every day.  Working as a physical therapist gives me the opportunity not just to help people, but to help people help themselves, and to give them hope for a future after an injury or illness.  My husband is my rock, an amazing father who has seemingly unlimited patience and compassion and who exemplifies a balanced life.  My smart and adventurous two-year-old makes me appreciate the beauty in the world and experience awe and wonder of the little things; everything is new and exciting to her toddler self, and she is present in every moment.  I'm thankful for my home, for our space.  While it doesn't always look as fancy as our friends' homes, it's well-loved and it's ours.  And it's hard to not be happy living in a place where I can see snow-capped mountains, vibrant sunsets, and blue skies every day.  With all the trauma and disaster happening worldwide, from the war in Yemen to the fires in California and tensions at the Mexican border, I often feel overwhelmed with sadness for the people affected, but also incredibly thankful for the luck of my own circumstances.

This week has reminded me of the power of kindness.  Working in a hospital around the holidays can be hectic and stressful as patients are distressed, in pain, and separated from their families, but this week especially I really made an effort to be kind, to greet everyone, to ask about people's day, to be helpful and find solutions when colleagues are trying to solve a problem, and to express gratitude to the CNAs and housekeeping and nutrition services and every important person who contributes to the team.  Working in a hospital makes me appreciate all the details that must come together to create something beautiful, and the collaboration and teamwork that go into every patient experience.  I thought about my dad, who always advised us to befriend the janitor, and also my mom, who always goes out of her way to ask to speak to a manager so she can compliment an employee.  And I actually felt a lot happier when I showed happiness to others.  It sounds like a cheesy Hallmark movie but happiness and gratitude really are contagious, and once kindness becomes your M.O. then you notice change around you.  I recently heard a statement on a Podcast that thoughts can change behavior, but behavior can also change thoughts, and I believe that to be true.  Gratitude can dissolve the ego and promote togetherness and happiness.

As I was thinking about all the things for which I am grateful, I got to thinking about how quickly life tends to fly by, as if in a blur, and I remind myself to take a moment and savor it.  To acknowledge a moment, or a flavor, or a beautiful image, or a feeling, as long as possible.  To find something beautiful or joyful in the seemingly mundane experiences.  Lately I have also been thinking about how to experience wonder and gratitude through a scientific lens, and I have become very appreciative of design, both in a human sense of the innovation and creativity that individuals possess and apply, but also in a natural sense to the way that awe-inspiring landscapes and mountains are formed by the elements of weather over time, and the evolution of life to be such a beautiful and meaningful experience.  I try to notice and appreciate the beauty around me and I feel thankful for my experiences.

This Thanksgiving was our eighth one in Santa Fe, and we spent it surrounded by good friends.  I am so appreciative of everything this city has to offer and for all the wonderful people who have made it home for us.

This holiday season I have also committed to doing the Running Streak, a challenge to run every day between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.  I started this morning with a short, pre-sunrise 5:15 a.m. jog before going into work. My primary goal in doing the streak is to stick to a goal despite the many excuses not to, and to make time for fitness every day for the next 40 days.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma