Tuesday Tidbits

Spring Gardening

I have been talking about gardening all spring, waiting until the weather was consistently warm enough for planting, obsessing over books about native plants, overwhelming myself with grand ambitions for transforming my yard, and procrastinating because of the terrifying question of "Where to Begin?"  Well we finally took the plunge and planted some new bushes in our front yard!  The hardest part was amending the soil to make it more conducive to planting, and now I hope we get a little moisture to keep everything alive!  I'm still such a beginner when it comes to gardening in desert, but wish me luck!  I also planted some flowers in pots along our front walkway and a rose bush near the back patio.  If everything goes well, I hope to add some bushes in the side yard next year and maybe a small herb garden.



New front yard landscaping
Pretty flowers

My littlest helper


Santa Fe "Run Around"

Earlier this month our family of three participated in the Santa Fe Run Around 5K, an annual race that supports our local chapter of Girls on the Run.  Almost 200 girls from 11 local elementary schools participated in the program this year, and they all did great in their race!  It was a beautiful morning to run and there were lots of smiles, cheers, and sentiments of camaraderie out on the course.  It was Ady's second annual Run Around in the jogging stroller, and when she's a little bigger we'll let her run the kids' 1K!


Getting ready to run!


The Royal Wedding

Confession: I didn't wake up early to watch the Royal Wedding, but I have absolutely loved reading articles about it after the fact and looking at pictures from the joyous and monumental day.  The more I learn about Meghan Markle (now the Dutchess of Sussex), the more I fall in love with her for her humanity, her honesty, her background, and her bravery to speak out.  This union is such a bold and positive thing for US and UK culture, and I loved seeing the juxtaposition of historical British traditions with modern styles and fads.  The hats!  The adorable flower girls!  The horse-drawn carriage!  Another highlight for me has been to read about Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland, a social worker and single mother who was beaming with joy, grace, and class at the royal wedding.




Weaning

After 18 months, Ady is weaned from breastfeeding.  This is a big step for both of us!  My original goals were to nurse for a year and not have to supplement with formula at all, and once we achieved those goals then I wanted to be very baby-centered (toddler-centered?) in our weaning plan.  Breastfeeding can be extremely beneficial up until 2 years, and even beyond, and has countless benefits for nutrition, immunity, and attachment, but it can also be challenging and time-consuming for families with working parents, so we had to balance everything in our busy lives.  I feel accomplished for making it 18 months as a full-time working mother and I have no regrets about stopping before age two.  Ady is healthy, growing girl with a good appetite, and we have lots of other ways to bond!




Late Spring/Early Summer Book List

Everything Here is Beautiful, by Mira T. Lee

LaRose, by Louise Erdrich
The Girl Who Smiled Beads, by Clemantine Wamariya
Prodigal Summer, by Barbara Kingsolver
Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
Modern Lovers, by Emma Straub
The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah
Swing Time, by Zadie Smith
The Swans of Fifth Avenue, by Melanie Benjamin
Tangerine, by Christine Mangan
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman
The Mars Room, by Rachel Kushner

    



Summer is just around the corner and I'm so looking forward to another fun Santa Fe season with Music on the Hill, the Saturday Farmers' Market, outdoor movies, minor league baseball games, a visit to the opera, relaxing on the patio at some of the new breweries in town, enjoying our backyard, entertaining visitors, and lots of hiking and outdoor adventures with Ady!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma