I aspire. I strive. I resolve.

This year was a memorable one as we watched Ady grow from a newborn to a toddler, delighting us with her own personality more each day, and teaching us more about life and love than we could ever teach her.  She is the light of our lives and made 2017 really extraordinary.  This year we also continued to make our house into a home, worked on our marriage as we strive to overcome the obstacles of parenting together, and traveled a lot (Hawaii, Minnesota, Colorado, San Antonio, New Orleans, and Chicago, to name a few of the destinations).  I also accomplished a lot with my career, took on new responsibilities in clinical education at the hospital where I work, accepted a position as chairperson of the Ethics committee, dedicated time to the Academy of Acute Care Physical Therapy Board of Directors, and am preparing to present at a national conference in February.  I ran another half marathon in September, and I started playing French horn again, both of which were really gratifying experiences.  Parenthood while working full-time certainly comes with moments of stress and uncertainty, but I feel that I succeeded this year in living a balanced life and being present as a parent.  Life balance is a constant dance of prioritizing and juggling, but it's a journey worth taking.

I had a few resolutions for 2017, some of which I achieved and some of which I didn't.  When I was in a sorority in college, one of the statements in our Purpose was "to possess high ideals and to attain somewhat unto them," which still stays with me to this day.  To me, this means that I set important goals that I strive to accomplish, while also recognizing that striving for something can be just as meaningful as actually achieving it, and accepting that I will not achieve all of the feats I wish to attain.

I put a lot of thought into my resolutions for 2018, and each of these goals will serve to help me in the ceaseless journey toward life balance:


1.  Journal Every Day

I was dedicated to a diary during my pregnancy, and I have kept a journal for Ady since she was born, but I haven't written in my own journal for almost two years now.  Whenever I contemplate revisiting my journal, I realize how much has happened in my life in two years and I am overwhelmed by the apparent obligation to "catch up."  I don't even know where to begin.  So instead of writing long entries about all my thoughts and big events, I plan to write just a few sentences every day, which will hopefully help me to capture the seemingly mundane, day-to-day challenges and accomplishments, and to find my voice without effort or manipulation.  We'll see how it goes.



2.  No Shopping

I admit that this goal is lofty.  (Think, "possess high ideals.")  I have been trying to get a grip on my finances for years, but budgeting seems impossible in the midst of staggering student debt and unexpected expenses.  So I'm taking a different approach.  No shopping.  That means no clothes, shoes, accessories, unnecessary baby gear, Starbucks, new books, souvenirs, art, and other things that I can live without.  If I need a book for book club, I will try the library or a used book store first.  I can buy a pair of running shoes if I train for a half marathon, but otherwise I will make do with what I have.  When buying gifts, I will try to use gifts cards or buy something local, or something that benefits a charity.  I will use up stuff in my house (like hand soap and makeup) before buying more.  When I go to Target for necessities, I will stick to my list.  I will focus more on experiences (including trips, events, or nights out with friends) instead of material items.


One goal of this resolution is to save money, but another goal is to create space in my life and decrease stress by reducing clutter.  This resolution is inspired by Ann Patchett's article in the NY Times.  "'I realized I had too many decisions to make that were actually important,' she said.  'There were people to help, things to do.  Not shopping frees up a lot of space in your brain.'"  The stress and anxiety of not having enough time, of looking at my credit card bill, of yet again making another unsuccessful plan for budgeting and saving, is never worth the joy that purchasing something brings.  There's also the time and the effort that shopping entails, not to mention the planning, driving, and stress of dealing with crowds in the stores.  Around the holidays I feel especially overwhelmed with "stuff."  It can be a time that feels burdened by consumerism and expectation.  There are so many (albeit thoughtful and wonderful) gifts to give and receive, but Christmas also motivates me to clean out my stuff to make room for new things and give back to people in need. 



3.  Be a Joyful Parent

Smile, be present, sing songs, laugh at the toddler moments, be approachable, be engaged, make my home joyful.


4.  And, like usual.... 

Run more, floss more, laugh more, read more, write more, pray more, drink more water, do more yoga, drink less coffee, do more baking, be more spontaneous, be my best self.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma