Tatonka Trail Run and Fall Snapshots

Yesterday morning Jaycob and I raced in the 2nd annual 10K Tatonka Trail Run in Glorieta, New Mexico.  It was quite a different experience compared to last year, when my very-pregnant self walked the 5K course!  It was fun to be able to run it this year while Ady spent the morning with her babysitter.  I haven't been doing a lot of trail running since having the baby, but it was a beautiful day for a run and the trails were fun with lots of ups and downs and bright fall colors in their prime.  It was a chilly morning but warmed up during the race.  My goal was to run the whole race without walking (done!), and also to finish before all the cupcakes were gone (check!).  I have high ambitions.  Admittedly, I was not very prepared for the intensity of the race, nor did I mentally prep for a run that would take me that long, but I feel a sense of accomplishment afterwards.  (Not to mention a sense of delayed onset muscle soreness.)  Jaycob had a great race and got the bronze medal!  

Tatonka 10K 2017
Tatonka run in 2016, before Ady was born!
 .    

After the race I made this amazing Pumpkin Bread with chocolate chips and pecans!  It was so dense and flavorful with the perfect blend of fall spices, and exactly the treat I needed for this time of year.  

Chocolate chip pumpkin bread (and 4th Anniversary flowers!)


I have been thinking back on some of the highlights of the past few weeks: watching Ady play and learn, listening to her laugh and watching her smile, reading bedtime stories, feeling her warm cheeks when I hug her, observing the fall leaves and feeling the autumn air while walking Kua, trail running, dancing around the kitchen while making dinner on our 4th wedding anniversary, finishing my half marathon and cheering on my sister in the Chicago marathon, FaceTiming with family members across the miles, having happy hour with girlfriends, book club, baking, admiring the pink sunrises, and all the little day-to-day moments.

All these little snapshots of life stand out to me, and yet I also acknowledge that the worthwhile, meaningful events are not necessarily the things that have consumed the majority of my time.  Work has been busy with patient care, committees, clinical instruction, and professional development.  I am a clinical instructor (in addition to being a physical therapist), I'm preparing to give two lectures at a conference in a few months, I recently applied for the next level of our Clinical Advancement Program, I joined a team for a year-long Process Improvement initiative, and I'm taking on some new leadership opportunities.  I am doing important things and helping people, and work is where the majority of my time is spent, but the moments with my friends and family are where memories are made, and we never know what moments will stand out in our memory until the moment is over.  I am thankful for the short, fleeting snapshots that call me to pause from the craziness and create lasting memories, and also for the balance I have been able to achieve between my career and my family time.





We are getting ready to leave for Hawaii in just a few short days!  We have been planning this family vacation since Adyson was just a few weeks old, and I can't believe it's already here.  After his bronze medal yesterday morning, Jaycob is in good shape for his big triathlon next weekend on Maui!  I'm really looking forward to some days at the beach, exploring Maui and the road to Hana, seeing all of Jaycob's favorite spots on the Big Island, visiting Pearl Harbor, and making memories together as a family.

My smiley, almost-1-year-old girl!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma