"Clean-Plate-Club" French Toast

January is generally a pretty lazy month for me.  I completed my Holiday Running Streak on the 1st, then proceeded to lay on the couch for three days nursing a cold with antioxidant tea and homemade soups.  It's too early to start training for spring races, plus I have no reason to be in a bikini any time soon, so I don't have a lot going for me in terms of motivation.  Other than Boot Camp two or three days a week and the occasional short run, I haven't been very athletic lately!  I don't think it's totally a bad thing to take a month of relaxation, though, before I start my Century Training Program and more consistent running next month.

Along with January laziness, I've been such a carb-aholic!  I've just been craving pasta, bread, and comfort food in general.  Jaycob and I were both off work all weekend, so we had a relaxing Sunday morning and I tried out a new French toast recipe.  It was seriously delicious!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!



The Best French Toast
Makes 2 servings
Modified from The Food Network

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup half-and-half
3 eggs
2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 slices of bread*
3 tablespoons butter
Ground cinnamon
Maple syrup
Fresh fruit

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a small bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey and salt.  Pour the mixture into a pie pan.

2.  Place a cooling rack over a cookie sheet.  Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and remove to the cooling rack.

3.  Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat.  Place two slices of bread in the pan and cook until golden brown and no longer soggy (about 2 minutes per side).  Remove bread from the pan and place on a cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining slices of bread, using 1 tablespoon of melted butter to cook 2 slices of bread.

4.  Place the cookie sheet with the 6 slices of cooked French toast in the oven for 5 minutes.  Remove and serve hot with sprinkled cinnamon, maple syrup, fresh fruit, or your choice of toppings.

*Note:  I just used regular whole wheat sandwich bread because that's what I had on hand, but this recipe would be even better with some thick Challah or French bread, or a slightly stale loaf to add to the crispiness. 


Yep, that's about right...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma