Snow Hiking, Books, and Pumpkin Pie

I realize my blog has been dormant for about three weeks!  I've been insanely busy at work and putting in a lot of overtime between taking on additional projects, initiating process improvement activities, collecting outcome data, committee meetings, presenting in-services and case studies, and serving as a clinical instructor.  Despite the long hours, though, these extra projects help make my job more meaningful and allow me to feel involved in engaged in my company.  I'm also beginning to shift my focus from inpatient orthopedics to critical care and I'm excited to see where this new focus will take me!  

Besides work, I've been busy with my volunteer position as a Girls on the Run coach.  My girls are getting ready to run their end-of-the-season 5K in the first annual Jingle Bell Run in Santa Fe!  They have worked so hard this season and I can't wait to watch each one of them cross the finish line on December 6th.

We took Kua up to the mountains this weekend to get some exercise and she was absolutely THRILLED to run and romp in the fluffy snow.  We got another dusting of snow tonight in Santa Fe and we're keeping our fingers crossed for another winter storm or two to kick off the ski season.




Speaking of dogs, I just finished a fabulous book about the lives and perceptions of dogs: Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know, by Alexandra Horowitz.  Jaycob is probably tired of hearing me talk about this book so much, but I couldn't put it down and I feel like I can better understand Kua and her perspectives after reading it.  This is a must-read for all dog-owners.  And..... Finishing this book already puts me at my goal to read 52 books in 2014!  Woo hoo!  My complete list of books read so far is on the right, and with five remaining weeks in the year, these are the following books I hope to get through:
The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood
MaddAddam, by Margaret Atwood
The Dinner, by Herman Koch
The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
Leaving Time, by Jodi Picoult



In other news, we're excited for another potluck-style "Friendsgiving" celebration this Thursday!  I feel so fortunate to have such a wonderful group of friends in Santa Fe and I'm looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving together.  I'm trying out a new pumpkin pie recipe from my favorite blog.  Wish me luck!
The BEST Pumpkin Pie Recipe from The Brown Eyed Baker



This weekend I tried a new recipe I found on Pinterest for Crock Pot Mac and Cheese. It was delicious!  Here's the basic recipe I used:  Slow Cooked Macaroni and Cheese from Moms with Crock Pots.  I added turkey sausage and green chile (of course), plus some bread crumbs on top.  I'm happy to be getting more use out of my crock pot this year.

Stay tuned later this week for info about the 2014 Holiday Running Streak!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma