Green Chile Chicken Stew

I love warm, hearty Sunday night dinners, while we're relaxing after a busy weekend, watching Sunday night football, and planning for the week.  This weekend I made my green chile chicken stew!  This is a popular Santa Fe tradition and has so many yummy fall and winter flavors.  I tried to get a lot of my ingredients at our local Farmer's Market this weekend, and I cooked the stew in my beautiful micaceous pot that was handmade by my friend Becky, a very talented ceramics artist in Santa Fe.  These pots are built from coiling, not wheel throwing, and are made with New Mexican clay, so I was feeling very organic and earthy!  I love supporting our local farmers and artists, especially when a delicious meal results.

Below is the recipe I have used for my stew, but feel free to share your own recipe with me!  In the future I think I'd like to add more green chile and some pinto beans too.  This would also be delicious with pork or beef instead of chicken.  There are endless possibilities when it comes to green chile stew!

Beautiful, heirloom tomatoes from the Farmers Market

Chopping up the green chile

Green chile stew in my Micaceous pot


Green Chile Chicken Stew

Ingredients:
3 cooked chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 cups), chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 to 1/2 cup roasted green chile, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 carrots, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes, or 2-3 fresh tomatoes
2-3 potatoes, cubed 
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  Place the cooked chicken, broth, water, cumin, thyme, marjoram and basil in a large pot and bring to a boil.
2.  Add green chile, garlic, carrots, celery, tomatoes and potatoes to the pot.  Simmer for 60 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are soft and cooked through.  
3.  Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve! 

Enjoy!




For more about Becky's pottery: Becky's Blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma