Summer Reading

It's officially summer!  That means barbeques, afternoons at the pool, watermelon, sundresses, fruity cocktails, flip flops, and of course... beach books!  In the summer I crave a certain type of book -- a story that will take me on a vacation.  I like to read about summer friendships or family drama, or a character's coming of age during an exciting era, or an intimate memoir.  I have very fond memories of some of the summer books I've read over the years and where I was at the time (such as laying in the sand at Virginia Beach, sitting out on the deck at my parents' house, or lounging on a beach chair in northern Minnesota).  Here are a few of my favorites...

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (Rebecca Wells)

The Help (Kathryn Stockett)

The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein)

Dewey (Vicki Myron)

One Thousand White Women (Jim Fergus)

My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult)

Tara Road (Maeve Binchy)

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Lorna Landvik)

Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen)

Sarah's Key  (Tatiana de Rosnay)

The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)

The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)

Wild (Cheryl Strayed)

Autobiography of Us (Aria Beth Sloss)

Eat Pray Love (Elizabeth Gilbert)

The Island (Elin Hilderbrand)

One Fifth Avenue (Candace Bushnell)

The Four Ms. Bradwells (Meg Waite Clayton)





And a few on my list to read this summer....

Franny and Zooey (JD Salinger)

Spectacle (Susan Steinberg)

The Interestings (Meg Wolitzer)

The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)

The Time Between (Karen White)

Island Girls (Nancy Thayer)

Beach Music (Pat Conroy)

Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

The Pilot's Wife (Anita Shreve)

Table for Seven (Whitney Gaskell)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma