Stewart Lake


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.”
-John Muir


My favorite season is waning as temperatures and aspen leaves drop.  There is a crispness in the air in the mornings, and I’ve already replaced my flip flops and tank tops with boots and sweaters in my closet.  But I am eagerly trying to squeeze in a few more long hikes before the first big snow.  There are so many amazing hikes to do this time of year that I just want to hike every day!

Last weekend I wanted to try a new hike outside of Santa Fe.  I planned to do Holy Ghost/Spirit Lake, a 14.5 mile trek in the Pecos Wilderness, but opted instead for something a little bit shorter since I really haven’t put in many miles in my hiking boots lately. 

The Stewart Lake trail is an 11-mile loop in through a forest of aspens, scrub oak, and pine trees in the Pecos Wilderness.  The first half of the hike is a gradual uphill that parallels Winsor Creek and leads to the lake.  Most of the leaves have fallen, creating a rich carpet of yellows and reds, though there were still trees clinging desperately to their bright yellow leaves at lower altitudes.  Stewart Lake is a serene mountain lake nestled in the woods, and from its banks you can spot Santa Fe Baldy to the west.  The return section of the hike was gorgeous, offering distant views of Baldy (and I believe Lake Peak, though my geography is not the greatest on this side of the Pecos Wilderness).

Carpet of gorgeous fall leaves


Stewart Lake

Aspens at their peak


Pecos Wilderness

Lake Peak?  Maybe?

Hiking on this side of the Pecos Wilderness really broadened my horizons to the vastness of the forests and trails in this area.  I’ve become so familiar with the hikes close to Santa Fe, but in reality those are only a small piece of the puzzle. I hope to have the opportunity to experience more of these amazing hiking trails!

In other news, I've been working on a lot of crochet projects lately and trying some delicious fall recipes!  And stay tuned for pictures of my canine and feline daughters in their Halloween costumes!


Comments

  1. Fall recipes have become one of my sneakiest distractions from school! Seriously, ask Nick. I may have a problem. Have you made a back-up reserve of pumpkin spice latte syrup yet?? Here's the recipe I used: http://sugarcrafter.net/2011/09/16/pumpkin-spice-latte/

    Try it out! It has brightened my every day. Sugl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma