Gratitude


This was my first Thanksgiving in Santa Fe!  As I sit here listening to Christmas music and drinking Caribou blend coffee, I reflect on how truly thankful I am for my life.  I’m so blessed to have such an amazing family.  Even though we are all spread out between the Midwest, Southwest, and Gulf coast, the times we are all together are my favorite days of the year. 

I’m grateful for all my loyal friends – those whom I’ve known for years, and those I just met recently; those whom I talk to on a regular basis, and the ones who I just don’t call enough but am reminded of constantly; those who know all of my secrets, and the ones who are just a blast and never fail to make me laugh; the friends I’ve made here in Santa Fe, and those far away, who I don’t see nearly as much as I’d like to, but when we do get together it feels that hardly any time has passed.

I’m thankful for my incredible job, which provides me with everything I could have asked for at this point in my career.  More importantly, though, I’m thankful to have the level of education to be able to work as a physical therapist.  I’m thankful for where I was raised and for 20 years of excellent education (counting kindergarten, of course, which is where the most important learning takes place).  I’m thankful for books!  We’re so lucky to have books accessible to us, for every book has the potential to change our worldview and teach us important lessons about life.  I’m grateful for my health.  This year, especially, I am aware of how lucky I am to be healthy so that I may support those who are sick or injured. 

Today on Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my family here in Santa Fe – my amazing boyfriend who means the world to me, our two adorable daughters (of the feline and canine variety), and my coworkers who have welcomed me to the community.  I’m grateful that Jaycob sacrificed a few hours of football and basketball on TV to hike with me and enjoy this gorgeous fall day.  (And I think he’s very thankful for DVR.)


Today we hiked an abbreviated version of Aspen Vista.  I enjoy this hike because it is beautiful regardless of how far you choose to venture along the trail.  This trail can range from an easy stroll with the dog on a warm fall day (like today), or a moderately strenuous test of endurance if one chooses to hike to the top (which we did earlier this year).  There were many other people with the same idea as us, enjoying a sunny fall day out on the trail with their families.  


Kua had a blast and made many new friends.  On her first Thanksgiving, she is thankful for a family that loves her (and a sister that tolerates her), but mostly for her two favorite things: sticks and snow!



Happy Thanksgiving!  Love you all!


 "Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."   ~Charles Dickens


Comments

  1. Me too! It means so much to me to have a FRIEND in Santa Fe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacific Northwest Bachelorette Party

High Altitude Baking: Coffee Cake

My Bachelorette Party: San Francisco and Sonoma